Plickers

I've been using Plickers in my math class as a way to check student understanding. Every day, when students enter the classroom, they pick up their Plicker folder (a folder with their Plicker card stapled inside - each folder is numbered so students know which one belongs to them).

At the end of the lesson, I ask "How well do you understand what we learned today?" If they think they understand completely, they use their Plicker card to answer "A". If they think they understand pretty well, but they still have some questions, they answer "B". If they don't understand at all, they answer "C".

I use my iPad to collect the answers, but I don't display the results. This way, I'm the only one who knows what each person answered. Students feel safe to answer honestly, as none of the students will ever know what anyone else said.

If the majority of students answer "B" or "C", I know that I need to spend more time on the concept (and try to find a way to teach it in a different way). If there are only a few students with questions, I can approach them individually and try to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment